Summary recommendations to assist in redefining and revitalizing the Brightmoor Community as a test case for City-wide implementation.
1. Pass ordinances that adopt as policy the recommended use of the land in Brightmoor studies that involved community input. Rezone land in conjunction with identified new uses. Incentivize residents to move from isolated areas to denser residential areas designated for residential housing. Obtain the cooperation of all Land Banks to assemble and hold the property for the exclusive purpose of implementing the agreed upon development plan.
2. Train, hire and develop a work force of Brightmoor residents to implement the revitalization efforts being funded and to develop ongoing entrepreneurial enterprises that produce jobs in the community.
3. Establish contracts to implement all revitalization efforts and City contracted work through the entities trained and established by NDND and the Brightmoor Alliance with Brightmoor residents.
4. Demolish 1000 dangerous structures in three years and establish a recycling center to process these and other building materials.
5. Rehab and/or build 1000 new units of housing in the next 10 years.
6. Create a town square and Center for Revitalization that house the entrepreneurial education, work force development and planning hub for the community.
7. Determine and operationalize alternative uses for vacant land next to existing housing that is tax exempt and/or helps to maintain it or produces some income/employment opportunities.
8. Market the redevelopment of the vast rezoned vacant land for green initiatives, industrial green houses, cooperative farming, geothermal fields, business park, use as a cemetery, parking for transportation hub, mass transit location to get to and from the airport, golf range…
9. Organize each block in the residential districts of Brightmoor to be involved in their own planning and rebuilding of the community through Block Clubs, community organizations, work force training and employment.
10. Involving the schools, churches, agencies and institutions and in the planning and implementation of the plans.